Sunday, April 4, 2010

Robot on a Segway

Let's start off by setting the right mood.



Now let's combine that with some other awesome things.

Robots and Lego

I recently attended Ignite Waterloo, and the icebreaker/mingling Lego contest was enough to remind me that I really needed to get out the Mindstorms NXT kit again. Thankfully, Dave Parker at nxtprograms.com has cooked up tons of great projects that only use the items that come with the kit. No crazy Technics hydraulics or whatever.

I've built the sample models that come in the kit. I've also attempted the Tilted Twister - which I actually completed, but could never get woking quite right (sticky cube I guess).

The last thin I built was the Ball Roller Coaster, from nxtprograms, and the kids loved it. They interacted with it, and watched it hypnotically until the batteries died.

That's what I like best about Mindstorm builds. You get the satisfaction of building and programming something cool, you flex your imagination a little bit, and you get a cool trophy to display for your efforts up on a shelf like any other hobby or Lego model. The killer is that you also have a piece of art. A kinetic sculpture.

When I noticed a new build posted at nxtprograms.com with the "Segway" in the title, I knew it was going to be a winner.

I guess that'll be part two.

No comments:

Post a Comment