Wednesday, September 7, 2011

What's that smear in the window?

I've posted before about how awesome I think the EyeClops microscope is. This is another opportunity to show it off.

Teri noticed something strange on the screen of our dining room window the other morning. Bird poop maybe? Something strange from the forest?

Much grosser.  It looks like something (a moth?) came by in the night and squeezed it's ovipositor all over our screen.

I tried to take a picture of the screen with a regular camera, but I'm an auto-focus kind of guy, and the camera just wanted to shoot my backyard through the screen.  Imagine a bird poop spread in a 2 inch diameter on your screen.


Anyhow, this was a job for the EyeClops!

100x - the metal weave is the window screen



The scientist in me really wanted to scrape a few off into a mason jar to see how they progressed  That idea of course competed with "Eww, get them off the screen before they find a way to crawl into our house while the window's open."

Since all I have are pictures of the eggs, I do not know what kind of creature this may have become.

If anyone has stronger google-fu than me, or by some luck an entomologist reads this, I'd love to know what they are.
200x - shiny!

400x - I wonder what Stephen Wolfram would think of the pattern

400x - Mmm caviar



1 comment:

  1. Well done, sir!

    Great pictures. Look like Overlords to me.

    ReplyDelete